When I start working on digital branding with my clients, one of the excuses that 80% of them tell me is not having enough budget to create it.
My answer is, YES, you can create it complementing it with social networks.
Two of the alternatives that I give my clients when creating a digital brand without investing a lot of money, is to be part of a community like Little Connexions that gives you a micro website, where you host all the information of your business and help you with the visibility in different channels, the second alternative is to create a blog.
In this article I will explain the second alternative, at the end of the article I will leave the link so you can learn more about the alternative of the Little Connexions platform.
There are several platforms where you can create a blog, in my experience working with WordPress.org, a non-profit foundation that provides free services for users is a friendly, intuitive and easy to learn option. You can host all your business information and integrate it with social networks, publish articles about your business starting to position your business by generating content with a page where your information is located.
It has limitations:
- Your blog would be hosted on the wordpress.com subdomain (your business name+wordpress.com), if you want it to be just your name you would have to buy a hosting and a domain.
- Being a free service, you would have unwanted advertising from other businesses.
- You could only use the templates that WordPress.org offers you.
- You cannot edit the code of the templates or install Pluggins (programs that help you create the page).
- You can view statistics within your business platform, but you can’t integrate it with Google Analytics.
- If you are just starting it is a first step for your business to have a presence on the Internet.
- You can share the link of your articles on social networks.
- It is search engine friendly.
- It helps you grow while getting your business known.
- If you are a limited seasonal business, having a blog helps you position yourself without having to spend on a website.
- Familiarize yourself with the tool, then create your own website.
But I’m on social networks… Is the blog or the website important, I am asked.
My answer is YES, …all the platforms that provide free service can change the policies or close the platforms, which generates a long term risk.
My suggestion is to create your blog and as your business starts and generate income you can buy a hosting service that usually have the domain free for a year.
Sometimes the hosting companies offer you a payment plan of 3 years and free domain for a year with a discount that is accessible for businesses that are growing, I also suggest that several entrepreneurs get together and buy the hosting together, so you can host several domains, recommended 5 domains on a hosting, in addition to this investment you can have corporate E-mails which is an advantage when doing business.
I hope it has been useful, if you want more information about this topic, you can contact me.
Thank you for taking the time to read me.
By: Jhamile Abuabara